With scrawny 11.9-inch calves, I've been on a mission for years (decades!) to find the very best, most beautiful slim calf boots. There have been successes, but for whatever reason, what remain most elusive are the perfect riding boots for thin calves. Heels and wedges are challenging to find with a narrow shaft, but equestrian inspired? The toughest of all. In this blog I'll review riding boots with calf circumferences published, or reported anecdotally, at under 14 inches around. If your legs are like mine, maybe you'll find your dream boot here :)

Please note: Except where otherwise stated in the captions, all photos & text are copyright this "Howdy Slim" blog and cannot be used elsewhere without permission.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Ecote Corset

I am always excited to find a back lacing boot, as I feel this is one of the most promising techniques out there for catering to skinny leg boot lovers. Properly designed, this style can make narrow, average & wide shaft wearers happy all at once. And from the front and sides, this has the streamlined, classic riding boot look so many of us are after.

Sadly, the Ecote Corset boot from Urban Outfitters didn't deliver. Super budget-friendly and made of a soft faux suede, it unfortunately doesn't tighten nearly enough to work for a thin calf. Pulling those laces as tight as I could, I was only able to shrink the circumference down to 15 inches, which is smack in the middle of average range. Even with the laces tied, I could slip the boot on and off with ease (even fully tightened, the ankle was a roomy 12") -- not a great sign when you're looking for a custom fit. I'd go so far as to say that with laces loosened just a bit, this actually makes a nice wide calf boot.

A better bet? Ages ago a very thin calf reader of my boot pages tipped me off to the Gee Wawa Blair, a quite narrow back lacing style that is almost impossible to find, but you might check ebay for this cute boot at a fraction of its original retail cost. Unfortunately, back lacing boots tend generally more toward over-the-knee pirate-y or high-heeled "boudoir" than riding.  But I'll keep you posted if I find any others that get it right!

Rating...
Beauty: **/5
Value: ****/5
Calf slimness: */5


No comments:

Post a Comment