With scrawny 11.9-inch calves, I've been on a mission for years (decades!) to find the very best, most beautiful slim calf boots. There have been successes, but for whatever reason, what remain most elusive are the perfect riding boots for thin calves. Heels and wedges are challenging to find with a narrow shaft, but equestrian inspired? The toughest of all. In this blog I'll review riding boots with calf circumferences published, or reported anecdotally, at under 14 inches around. If your legs are like mine, maybe you'll find your dream boot here :)

Please note: Except where otherwise stated in the captions, all photos & text are copyright this "Howdy Slim" blog and cannot be used elsewhere without permission.

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Joan & David Talaro

Oops! :-(
Ever since I slipped my scrawny legs into the gorgeous Heathley, I've had one eye open for more Joan & David boots for small calves. So I was so excited to show you the lovely Talaro -- knee-high leather for (as of early March 2016) under 70 bucks!

But as soon as I opened the box, I knew today's writeup wasn't going to go as planned. ShoeMetro sent me, sadly, the wide calf version of the Talaro -- which, truth be told, would probably not be wide enough for folks with truly wide calves. In shoe size 8, the top circumference measured in at a (yes, roomyish) 16", the midcalf a not-that-big 14" ... and the ankle was 11" around -- a pretty common stat even for the narrow calf riding boots I normally feature here. That gives me hope that the non-wide-calf Talaro would be pretty slim. (Caveat: the size 8 was comfy but not roomy on my foot, and I often take a 7.5, so those between half-sizes should go with the larger.)

I'm not sure yet whether I'll be able to get hold of the non-extended version to show here "on leg," but in case you're considering grabbing your own pair at the outrageously low pricing now available, here are a few pix.

The dark brown hue is pretty and versatile (there's a a black version too), and the dainty little studs are what really drew me to this boot.

This isn't luxury leather, but for $60 on sale and $189 retail? It's a find. Far from the most plasticky I've tried in the <$200 price range for leather boots.

For the stretch panel averse, there's none on this shaft, save a teeny bit of hidden goring up top.

Nice treads on the sole for unpredictable spring weather, plus an adorable animal-print lining.

And the shaft is fairly petite-friendly, at 15.5 inches tall.

I promise to be back soon with a bona fide skinny boot to show you. 'Til then, a Merry March to all :) And please do post a comment on calf fit if you're lucky enough to score a pair of non-wide Talaros!

No comments:

Post a Comment